Blarg.

January 11, 2007 at 3:11 pm | Posted in lace, Random babble | 1 Comment

I was happily knitting on the stripes and torchon lace wrap, doing what I thought were the correct stitches, when I discovered that somehow two stitches had vanished, and the pattern was now skewed. This was, of course, after messing up a previous time. Both times caused me to have to rip it out and start again, and since the Dolcina yarn doesn’t take too well to being frogged, the yarn snapped.

That was when I decided that I probably ought to do a different project, since I apparently don’t have the mental capacity to handle 90+ stitches at once. (Please read with sarcasm. Sort of.)

Instead, I flipped through VLT, and found the Victoria Shawl, which looked promising. Simple 10-stitch pattern repeats, could be done with the same Dolcina yarn, so long as I was careful and didn’t stress the yarn too much. Great! I cast on.

And when I came to the first row of the pattern chart, I knew there were going to be problems. For starters, the symbol they use for SS was in the chart but not in the key. Fine, no problem, I know how to interpret. All even numbered rows say to slip the first stitch purlwise, then knit to the end.

The picture of the shawl that’s in the book, however, looks like it’s done in stockinette, rather than garter.

I checked the errata page, and found no mention of any problems or corrections with this pattern. So that was no help. So now I have a slightly wrong chart with the potential of being more messed up.

I’m very tempted to just do the diamond panel in stockinette anyway, purling on the WS rows when the pattern says to knit. I think it’ll come out better that way. Though really, I have no idea how much curl will be there, even after blocking, so it might not be worth it after all. I can’t find any mention of anyone really knitting this shawl and coming across any problems, so either it was knit and people didn’t notice that symbol discrepancy and it’s supposed to be done in garter stitch, or I’m just being too picky.

Possibly both.

*sighs* Alas, despite having already cast on for the Victoria Shawl, I suspect I’m just going to have to bite the bullet for now and find another pattern to do. There are some very nice ones in there, and I doubt I’ll have a problem finding something else I want to knit, but until I can find out what’s going on with this pattern error stuff, I may as well just be moving on to something else.

Advertisements

1 Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. Hi,
    I found your blog via google by accident and have to admit that youve a really interesting blog :-)
    Just saved your feed in my reader, have a nice day :)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: